The storage expansion procedure is quite simple to perform, but pay attention to the details
The PS5 allows users to install an additional M.2 NVMe SSD to expand the console’s internal storage . To do this, you need to plug the component into a dedicated space under one of the console’s side plates. In the following lines, we will show you in a well-illustrated way how to install an SSD on PlayStation 5.
The instructions for installing the extra SSD were taken directly from the official PlayStation website , so there’s nothing to fear. Check below the step by step to increase the memory of the new generation console.
What is needed to expand SSD on PS5
Before starting the procedure, prepare your space and gather some materials that will facilitate the installation process of the new PS5 SSD.
- A well-lit room with a table to work on;
- A #1 Phillips screwdriver or cross-head screwdriver;
- A small flashlight (optional).
It is also extremely important to get all static electricity out of the body. To do this, just touch a grounded metal object and that’s it, let’s get to work!
To install the new SSD on the PS5, just follow the steps below, and then check out some extremely important tips so there are no problems. But first, make sure the M.2 SSD you buy has a good heatsink — check with the seller if necessary.
- Turn off the console. Then remove all cables and devices from it, and wait a while until it cools down;
- Place the PS5 on a flat surface with a protective cover and remove the base;
- Position the console so the PS logo is facing down and the power button is facing away from you;
- Use your right hand to grip the bottom right edge and your left hand to grip the top left edge of the lid;
- Gently lift the cover with your right hand;
- Slide the cover with your left thumb, while using the fingers of your left hand to stabilize the console;
- When lifting the console cover, there will be another rectangular cover over the expansion slot, secured with a screw at the top;
- Remove the expansion slot cover screw (A), then remove the cover;
- Carefully remove the screw (B). Move the spacer (C) to the hole corresponding to the size of your M.2 SSD;
- Grasp the edge of your M.2 SSD, align it with the notch on the expansion connector, then, starting diagonally upwards, firmly insert it all the way in;
- Make sure the M.2 SSD’s circuit board is flush with the spacer, not obstructing its cooling frame. If you proceed to the next step while your M.2 SSD is incorrectly inserted or not firmly inserted all the way, it may cause terminal and console damage;
- Tilt the M.2 SSD down and secure it to the spacer with the screw. Make sure your cooling frame is not obstructing the screw;
- Place the expansion slot cover and tighten the screw. If the slot cover does not close properly, your cooling frame likely exceeds the size requirements;
- Replace the cover and position it slightly away (about 2 cm or 3/4 inch) from the top edge and slide it back into place. You will hear a click when the lid is closed;
- Plug in the AC power cord, cables, and base, then plug in. When the console is turned on, the formatting guide will be displayed. Follow the onscreen instructions and format your new storage system.
Now that the SSD has been properly installed, it is necessary to format it. To do this, just follow the onscreen instructions — but keep in mind that the files on the device will be lost. Do not turn off the device while performing this procedure, as it may corrupt the new storage or even the console.
Did this tutorial for installing the new SSD on PS5 help you, dear reader? Comment in the section below how was the procedure to add the extra storage