The 94th Annual Academy Awards will announce its awards on the night of this Sunday, March 27 at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles, California. As every year, the Film Academy will announce the winners of all categories; including those relating to the world of superheroes, animation and business in the entertainment industry. Marvel and DC are the two biggest comic houses in history, but few films have achieved a statuette. In this article, we review the number of Oscars won by Marvel and DC.
Marvel at the Oscars: how many statuettes have they made
Marvel’s film history is very long and spans multiple houses. From Universal to Disney to Sony Pictures. A total of 17 Film Academy nominations, but only 6 statuettes.
- Spider-Man 2 (2004): Best Visual Effects. Sam Raimi made history with an unforgettable film that we continue to recommend.
- Big Hero 6 (2014): Although not from Marvel, the Disney film is based on the House of Ideas comic book, which passed without oena or glory. It won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature.
- Black Panther (2018): It was devastating. It had seven nominations and won the Oscar for Best Soundtrack, Production Design and Costume Design, a total of 3 awards.
- Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (2018) – One of the best animated movies of all time. He awarded the sixth Oscar to Marvel with his statuette for best animated film.
DC at the Oscars: how many statuettes have they made
For now, DC outperforms Marvel by a single statuette, 7 to 6. The writers of Batman, Superman and company haven’t been able to craft a universe as successful and connected as Marvel, but they sure have better tapes on a strictly cinematographic plan; at least not as commercial, without it being better or worse. In total, 7 statuettes.
- Superman (1978): what about Man of Steel by Christopher Reeve. Oscar A special contribution for its visual effects, it felt like a movie from another future age.
- Batman (1989): We love Michael Keaton for many reasons, including this one. Tim Burton’s Batman managed to dazzle the Academy with the best art direction.
- The Dark Knight (2008): nearly thirty years later, DC once again seduces the Film Academy through the front door. One of the best superhero movies of all time? Undoubtedly. The film directed by Christopher Nolan received the award for best sound editing; For his part, Heath Ledger received the posthumous award for best actor in a supporting role (Joker). In his glory.
- Suicide Squad (2016): Probably no better than the previous ones, but her makeup is impeccable. The Academy recognized the work of David Ayer’s team with an Oscar for Best Makeup and Hairstyle.
- Joker (2019): And speaking of Joker, the 2019 movie was a real surprise. Awarded for Best Soundtrack and Best Actor. Not much can be said that isn’t already known about the phenomenal Joaquin Phoenix. Seventh statuette for DC.
For the 2022 Oscars, we have several names among the nominated superhero films: two films from Marvel Studios, such as Spider-Man: No Way Home and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. Will one of them win a prize? The two will compete for the award for Best Digital Effects.