Google Smart Lock is an extremely useful feature offered by Google. You don’t need to remember your password when Google Smart Lock is on. Google will take care of all these transactions. However, some users may wish to turn off the Google Smart Lock feature. For this it is enough to follow some steps.
When you use the Google Smart Lock feature, it is possible to view saved passwords from the Settings section when someone accesses your computer or phone. If you share such devices with others, you may face serious problems. Therefore, you may want to turn off the Google Smart Lock feature.
What is Google Smart Lock?
Google Smart Lock is a feature of Google. It can keep the device unlocked in places deemed safe. You decide this reliable place for yourself. Plus, you can easily save your passwords using the Google Smart Lock feature so that you don’t have to remember them.
Google Smart Lock has a different structure in Android 9 and older operating systems. For example, you can perform various actions on your device using the “Ok Google” voice command. For this Google has to recognize your voice. You can do a similar approach by setting up a safe face. For this, you have to take advantage of the face recognition feature of your device.
If you don’t want to use Google Smart Lock, you’re probably concerned about privacy. So, you can easily disable this feature by following the steps to turn off Google Smart Lock. You don’t need to deal with too many technical details to do this.
Google Smart Lock Features
Although Google Smart Lock is an unwanted feature by many users, it can be extremely useful for some. Because this feature is often present to help the user to do their transactions faster. Google Smart Lock stands out with its following features:
Occupied Detection – With this feature, once you have unlocked the device, you do not need to unlock it again, as long as the device is on you. This can be especially useful when you keep the phone in your pocket during games.
Trusted Devices – With this feature, you can select the Bluetooth devices that you trust. When you are connected to these devices, you will not need to enter a password or screen lock pattern to unlock your device. However, it must be said that this feature is not much liked.
Trusted Locations – With this feature you can create a location that you can trust. This location can be your home location or the place where you work. You won’t need to enter your password or screen lock pattern to access the device when you’re in the secure locations you specify.
Apart from these, there are two different features: voice recognition and face recognition. However, these features are no longer available on modern Android devices. When you access your device using these features, you can only benefit from certain device features. Since they are no longer used, we do not need to mention them additionally.
Managing Passwords Using Google Smart Lock
The most important aspect of the Google Smart Lock feature is that it provides the convenience of password management. You can also access saved passwords from your Android device by logging into your account in the Chrome web browser. If you are having trouble remembering your passwords or you are constantly forgetting your passwords, you can consider taking advantage of this facility.
After logging into your Google Account, you can easily access the Password Manager feature by entering the Security section on the left. Here you can easily view and manage all your saved passwords. On Android, you can find the Google option in Settings and make all the necessary adjustments to your account.
Advantages of Saving Passwords
- You don’t need an additional app because Google Smart Lock works like a password manager.
- In order to use the Google Smart Lock feature, you do not take any action other than saving the password.
- When you enter a site and enter your username and password, Google Smart Lock saves this information.
- Now all you have to do is access your memberships on the sites with auto-filled data.
- Google Smart Lock can offer you a variety of complex password options when creating a password.
- Even if passwords are randomly generated, they are very difficult to remember or guess.
Disadvantages of Saving Passwords
- Managing passwords using Google Smart Lock is easy, but it’s also risky.
- If you are sharing your computer with someone else, that person may have access to your passwords.
- If you do not use extra security methods for account management, you may lose your passwords.
- Because you save your passwords automatically, you can forget them over time.
As you can easily realize, there are many advantages and disadvantages to saving passwords using Google Smart Lock. It is possible to eliminate losses by raising the security of your account to a safe level. As long as you use additional security measures, you can keep your passwords safe.
Turning Off Google Smart Lock
You cannot completely remove the Google Smart Lock feature from your device. You can simply disable it. This feature is a built-in feature that comes with Android devices. A similar feature is also available in the Chrome web browser. You can follow the steps below to turn off Google Smart Lock for both Chrome and Android.
Turn off Google Smart Lock (Chrome)
You can easily turn off Google Smart Lock in Chrome web browser. For this you have to run Chrome first and then browse to the Settings section of the web browser. You can turn off the Google Smart Lock feature by following the steps below.
- After running Chrome, click the three dots in the upper right corner to open the menu. Access all the features of the browser by selecting the Settings option from this menu .
- Click on AutoFill from the options on the left in the Settings section . Access additional features for passwords by clicking Passwords from the options that appear .
- In the Extras for passwords section , disable the Offer to Save Passwords and Auto Login options. After doing this, Google Smart Lock will be disabled.
Note that the Google Smart Lock feature also performs password sharing between devices. For example, when you save a password via Chrome on your computer, you can access it from your Android phone.
How to Turn off Google Smart Lock (Android)
When you want to perform Google Smart Lock feature on your Android device, it will suffice to follow a few steps. Google Smart Lock was originally developed to improve the user experience. However, it is a good idea to disable this feature if you use your device in many other unsafe places.
- Go to Settings on your Android device and then click Lock Screen . Lock Screen is where you can change settings like screen lock type and clock style.
- When you enter the Lock Screen section, you will see the Smart Lock feature. When you click on this option, your device will ask you to enter your password or screen lock pattern .
- After entering the current password or screen lock pattern, you will be greeted with an informational message about Smart Lock. After reading and confirming this information message, you have access to the Smart Lock settings.
- First of all, you should enter the option named Detection that you are on yourself and disable this feature.
- Then you have to go back and enter the option named Trusted places and remove the places there.
- Finally, you have to go back and enter the option named Trusted devices and remove the devices from there.
As we mentioned, after setting up these three features, Google Smart Lock will be disabled. Additionally, you can choose to edit your account settings by logging into the Google app on your device. Thus, you disable the Google Smart Lock feature completely.
Google Smart Lock helps you get quick access to your device. In general, this is useful for cross-device password sharing. But it is important to know that there are various security risks involved. If you have different questions about Google Smart Lock feature, you can send them to us by commenting.